Learn the fundamental principles of project management, as well as the tools and techniques you can use to lead projects to successful completion.
This course is fully aligned with A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, (PMBOK® Guide), 6th edition, published by the Project Management Institute (PMI).
Featured topics include:
- Project definition and start up
- Planning, scheduling and estimating
- Approval process, including testing for alternatives
- Project information and control systems
- Resource selection and allocation, implementation
- Post-project evaluation
- Project management as a career
- Skills and knowledge required by professionals, including decision-making and resource allocation appropriate to project phases
- Integration with other disciplines, including accounting and finance
The course is designed to enable you to:
- Articulate the key role, responsibilities, and skills required of a successful project manager
- Formulate a project plan that will guide the project to completion while addressing key management issues
- Evaluate a project and its environment, assess its true status, pinpoint real issues, and implement corrective action
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of both traditional and agile approaches to managing projects, and how these approaches must be adapted to specific project environment.
- Plan and track your projects using Microsoft Project software
- Understand inherent tradeoffs between time, costs, scope, and resources
- Provide insight on how project collaboration tools may be used to radically change the way project information is shared
- Apply techniques for building and leading effective, self-motivated project teams
- Prepare a risk assessment and mitigation strategy
- Demonstrate a solid understanding of the underlying principles of project management on which the PMI® standard PMBOK® Guide is based
- Meet formal project management education requirement to be eligible to apply to take Project Management Professional (PMP)® or Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)® certification exams.For more information on PMP® eligibility, click here .
PMI® Professional Development Units (PDUs): 78 (43 Technical, 12 Leadership, 23 Strategic)
The PMI Registered Education Provider logo is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
PMP and PMBOK are registered marks of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
“McGill provided me with the structure I needed to elevate my competence to the next level and I now consider myself a project manager first and foremost. Since completing the course I have led project teams in the realization of over a hundred projects including warehouses, factories, offices, gyms and stores.”
- Marc Laliberté, Comprehensive Project Management
Winner of the PMI Montreal Prix élixir - La Relève 2014
Applies Towards the Following Programs
- Professional Development Certificate in Project Management : Required Courses: