The ability to write effectively is a highly prized professional skill: it plays a key role in successful business planning, strategizing, and development; it facilitates productive relations with internal and external stakeholders; and contributes significantly to the preservation of an organization's professional image and reputation.
Classes focus on developing your ability to draft key business documents—including reports, plans, and proposals—for senior managers, colleagues, clients, business owners, business partners, and investors. You will also engage in several in-class activities that focus on realistic business communication situations and allow for discussion and debate with your peers. Grammar and mechanics will also be covered, along with techniques for honing your style and developing self-editing skills.
These assignments and activities will enable you to create professional and influential business documents using communication strategies to inform, persuade, and motivate others.
Featured topics include:
- The writing process: planning, composing, and revising
- Analyzing your audience
- Choosing channels and structuring documents for maximum impact
- Writing in teams
- Controlling and clarifying your message: grammar, mechanics, self-editing
The course is designed to enable you to:
- Write effective business documents tailored to specific purposes, audiences, and contexts
- Prepare a variety of business documents (such as proposals, business plans, and reports) using appropriate headings, layout, and format
- Write business messages that meet readers' informational needs
- Build goodwill by using direct and indirect written communication strategies
- Communicate strategically in a variety of business situations
- Provide rational support for your claims or arguments
- Collaborate with others to write and edit documents
- Use correct grammar, punctuation, and mechanics
Applies Towards the Following Programs
- Professional Development Certificate in Business Analysis : Complementary Course(s)
- Professional Development Certificate in Business Valuation : One complementary course from the following two:
- Professional Development Certificate in Project Management : Complementary Course(s):