The Exemption by Examination test is intended for students who do not have the required academic background but who believe they have the necessary knowledge for a co-requisite or prerequisite to a program offered through Career and Professional Development (CPD).
Exemption by Examination tests are for Career and Professional Development students only. Tests are optional and are not applicable to required or complementary course(s) within a program.
There are no re-reads or reassessment, and a candidate cannot review the written test.
Students who fail the Exemption by Examination test will not be permitted to retake the test. Instead, they must enroll in the course for which the particular test was taken.
This Exemption by Examination test applies to the following programs:
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Applied Finance
- Diploma in Entrepreneurship
- Diploma in Health and Social Services Management
- Diploma in Management: International Business
- Diploma in Management: Internet Business
- Diploma in Supply Chain and Operations Management
The following textbook is used in the current semester, and is available in the McGill Library:
Book Title: Mathematics for Management, Custom Edition
Publisher: Pearson Learning Solutions ISBN: 9781323243916
- Basic algebra review: sequences, series
- Functions and graphs
- Mathematics of finance
- Bond Valuation and sinking funds
- Investment decisions
- Data description and probability distributions
- Limits and the derivatives
- Graphing and optimization
The results of the test are valid for one year.
The School reserves the right to re-schedule test dates.
Prerequisite(s) and Corequisite(s)
- You must have applied and/or been admitted to a CPD program
- Students are not eligible to take the Exemption by Examination test if they are registered, did not receive a passing grade, or have already attempted the course (a grade of W is considered as having attempted the course). In this case students are required to take the course
- You must have been officially exempted from the pre-requisite course CMSC 000 Foundations of Mathematics prior to being eligible to write the Exemption by Examination test
- Students are not eligible to write an Exemption by Examination test for a course that has been assigned as a "Qualifying Course"