The Exemption by Examination test is intended for students who do not have the required academic background but who believe they have the necessary knowledge for a co-requisite or prerequisite to a program offered through Career and Professional Development (CPD).
Exemption by Examination tests are for Career and Professional Development students only. Tests are optional and are not applicable to required or complementary course(s) within a program.
There are no re-reads or reassessment, and a candidate cannot review the written test.
Students who fail the Exemption by Examination test will not be permitted to retake the test. Instead, they must enroll in the course for which the particular test was taken.
This Exemption by Examination test applies to the following programs/Courses:
- CMSC 101 Mathematical Tools for Management Professionals
- CMS2 500 Mathematics for Management
- Certificate in Health and Social Services Management
- Certificate in Supply Chain Management and Logistics
The following textbook is used in the current semester, and is available in the McGill Library:
Book Title: Foundations of Mathematics, 2nd Custom Edition
Publisher: Nelson Education Ltd. Canada ISBN: 9780176743574
- The Real Number System
- Fundamentals of Algebra
- Equations, Inequalities and Problem Solving
- Graphs and Functions (including domains and ranges)
- Exponents and Polynomials
- Factoring and Solving Equations
- Rational Expressions, Equations, and Functions
- Quadratic Equations and Functions
- Exponential Functions
- Sequences and Series
The passing grade for CMSC 000 Foundations of Mathematics is 65%
The results of the test are valid for one year.
The School reserves the right to re-schedule test dates.
Prerequisite(s) and Corequisite(s)
- You must have applied and/or been admitted to a CPD program
- Students are not eligible to take the Exemption by Examination test if they are registered, did not receive a passing grade, or have already attempted the course (a grade of W is considered as having attempted the course). In this case students are required to take the course
- Students are not eligible to write an Exemption by Examination test for a course that has been assigned as a "Qualifying Course"