This course will help you to structure your research writing more effectively while responding to the content and style demands of a unique academic journal that you will target for article submission. The course involves regular writing practice and revision based on self-assessment and feedback from the course tutor and peers.
- Identifying a journal that fits with your research
- Adapting writing for the targeted academic journal
- Developing a "research story" to engage your readers
- Identifying disciplinary conventions from scientific articles in your field
- Drafting and revising scientific writing for language, clarity, and flow
- Providing feedback to strengthen scientific writing
By the end of the course, participants should be able to do the following:
- Analyze scientific articles from your field to identify disciplinary conventions and effective writing strategies
- Draft writing that conforms to author guidelines from a targeted academic journal
- Adapt writing according to the perceived knowledge level, values, and typical interests of the readership
- Develop an overarching “storyline” in a research article to engage the curiosity of readers and improve text coherence
- Express complex scientific ideas in English by expanding knowledge of English grammar and style
- Revise and edit to improve clarity and flow at the document, paragraph, and sentence level
- Develop strategies for working collaboratively and providing/using peer feedback
Prior to registering for the course, we encourage you to verify that your computer is compatible with our learning management system by clicking here.
This online course is optimized for the following configurations:
Who Should Attend?
This course is intended for graduate students and early career researchers in the sciences who are affiliated with an institution of higher learning or a research institute.
If these circumstances do not apply to you, please complete a "Course Inquiry" request so that we can learn about your needs and determine whether this course is appropriate for you.